29 ways to use lemon essential oil that everyone needs to know
Posted on August 14, 2017
I just purchased 100% pure lemon essential oil from Saje Wellness this weekend and I’ve been doing research on how I can use it. Turns out, it’s amazing and can do pretty much anything! Everyone should have a bottle of lemon essential oil handy.
- Not all oils are the same quality. There aren’t a lot of industry standards or regulation on terms such as “natural” or “pure”. Even if a bottle says 100% pure essential oils, it could mean that it’s made with pure essential oil but mixed with other ingredients. If you are planning to ingest essential oils, make sure you buy from a reputable brand!
- If putting lemon essential oils on skin, avoid contact with direct sunlight for 12+ hours after use.
- Always test for skin sensitivity and use on the feet when possible.
- Excessive use of any oil can lead to skin sensitization.
- I have not tested all of these methods yet so please use caution when following instructions.
9 skincare uses for lemon essential oil
- Face-wash – Lemon essential oil can help improve your complexion and soften skin by deeply nourishing. Mix baking soda and honey with a few drops of lemon essential oil for a natural acne free face wash.
- Skin brightener – Add lemon oil to your current facial cleanser to help remove dead skin cells and create a fresh clear complexion.
- Pimple treatment – Place a drop directly on blemishes to help balance oil glands and minimize oil production.
- Face lotion – Using lemon essential oil all over your face can improve complexion and lead to smooth, clear skin. You can add it to a lotion or rub it in your hands and apply it directly over your face.
- Skin toner – Lemon oil is an astringent so it can be used for deep cleansing of the skin while shrinking pores and reducing sebum being produced. Mix ½ cup of water, ½ cup of witch hazel and 40 drops of lemon oil.
- DIY body scrub – Store this scrub in an airtight glass container which will last couple of months. Do not let water to go inside. Mix 2 tablespoon baking soda, 1 tablespoon coconut oil, 7 drops of tea tree oil, and 5 drops of lemon oil. Wash your skin with your regular body wash and rinse with hot water to help open up your pores. Apply the scrub to wet skin over your entire body, massaging in a circular motion for 5-10 minutes to allow the granules to remove dead skin cells. Finally, rinse it off and your skin will be soft and refreshed.
- Soften cuticles – Rub into your fingers and cuticles to soften them and strengthen your nails.
- Soften calluses, corns, and bunions – Apply lemon essential oil consistently to your hardened skin conditions and the lemon oil will soften those areas.
- Itchy bug bites – Use 2 drops directly on skin and lightly rub it in.
Remember: Lemon oil is phototoxic, so if you are applying it topically on your face or body, it will increase your skin’s sensitivity to sun light and cause you to burn faster!
9 super healthy uses for lemon essential oil
- Drink it daily – Adding lemon essential oil to your water 1-3x daily can improve metabolism, cleanse the liver and support the kidneys. It works to support various stomach problems, including indigestion, acidity, upset stomach, and cramps. Add three drops of lemon oil to water to help reduce heartburn and acid indigestion.You could also add to your smoothie. Add two drops to 8 ounces of water for a gentle, natural body cleansing in the morning of your liver, kidneys, and digestive system. Also add lemon oil to public water to help the kill germs.
- Add 1-2 drops to every 8 ounces of water to taste. It is recommended to use a glass or stainless steel bottle.
- Soothe a sore throat – Add lemon essential oil to hot water and honey to soothe a sore and scratchy throat. Or you could add 2-3 drops in hot tea.
- Fevers – Add one drop of lemon and peppermint oil to the bottoms of your feet to reduce fever and provide infection relief.
- Teeth whitener – Mix 1 drop of lemon essential oil, 1 part baking soda and 1 part coconut oil and brush your teeth for 2 minutes and then rinse.
- Immune support – Lemon oil can support lymphatic drainage and help your overcome a cold fast. Mix with coconut oil and rub it on your neck.
- Asthma/Allergy – Inhaling the aroma of lemon can clear the nasal passages and sinuses, promoting good air flow and steady breathing. Rub under your nose or diffuse in the air. Alternatively, mix 3 drops of lemon, lavender and peppermint oil to the bottoms of your feet, behind the ears and neck every day.
- Improves mood – Diffusing lemon essential oil in the air can lift mood and fight depression. It will replenish your mind, body, and spirit.
- Concentration – Lemon oil helps in increasing concentration and alertness. Diffuse in the office or while your children are doing homework to stay focused and on task. Good for energy and mind clarity. You can also rub a drop or two of lemon oil between your palms and inhale to give yourself a quick lift! Bonus: the lemon in your hands also removes stinky odors and acts as a hand sanitizer.
- Relax with a bath – Add a few drops to your bathwater to help with typical stress and fatigue. Lemon oil is calming in nature and, therefore, helps in eliminating mental fatigue, exhaustion, dizziness, anxiety, nervousness and nervous tension. It can refresh the mind by creating a positive mindset and removing negative emotions.
Using lemon EO around the house
- Sanitize your toothbrush – Add a drop of lemon oil on the bristles and then rinse it off.
- Remove stuck gunk – Use 1–2 drops to remove gum, oil, grease spots, glue or adhesive, and crayon from most surfaces including walls, carpets and hair but not plastic or vinyl. It will also remove sticky residue from labels on bottles and jars.
- Remove odors – Place a few drops on a cotton ball and put in the refrigerator or trash can to help eliminate odors.
- Insect repellent – Create this mixture in a spray bottle and spritz around the area and entry points where the insects are coming from. If they are going into your garbage cans, you can wipe it all over inside and out of the garbage bins. Add 5 drops of lemon oil to about 1/2 cup of water and spray. You can also add a few drops of peppermint and eucalyptus oil.
Cooking and eating with lemon essential oils
- Lemon zest – Use as a replacement for lemon zest in a recipe. For juice or zest of one citrus fruit, try 10-15 drops of oil.
- Freshen dishcloths – Soak in a bowl overnight with 5 drops of lemon to keep dishcloths fresh.
- Wash fruit – Add a couple of drops in a bowl of water to wash fruit. It can make strawberries taste amazing!
- Preserve food – Keep cut apples and avocado fresh: Use lemon oil in water to keep sliced apples or avocado from turning brown. Fill a glass bowl with cool water, add 2-3 drops and soak for a bit. Drain, rinse and dry.
- Enhance food – Add a couple drops of lemon essential oil to softened butter or you can use on fish, bread and steamed vegetables. Add lemon oil to sweet treats: Lemon frosting, lemon meringue, lemon cakes, lemon squares, lemon cookies, and of course lemonade!
- Refreshing water – Take a about 1 liter of water and slice 1/4 cucumber, fresh sprig of Rosemary (or rosemary essential oil), 1/2 orange in large slices and 3-4 drops of lemon oil.
- Strawberry lemon smoothie – Using a blender, add 1/2 cup strawberries, 4 cups water and 2-4 drops Lemon essential oil. Strain into glasses with ice.